Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Baby It's Cold Inside

There are less downsides than you would think to living in a crooked house by the railroad tracks. I have found there to be a surprising lack in the number of hobos populating the tracks and am excited to report that after a treacherous flirtation with hail and a tornado my little house was left unharmed earlier this year.

Unfortunately the biggest problem may be the worst. I am lucky that my place was outfitted with central air and heat long before I moved in. However, it's working abilities leave much to be desired. To say the place is poorly sealed would be too kind. I can see the sunshine through the crack between the door and the frame. During the summer I had a lot of bugs to contend with since they had little barriers to slow down their migration from the outside. Of course, this should have prepared me for the sharp and painful gusts of winds that have plagued me with every temperature dip.

I imagine there is an easy solution for making my home more energy effecient. Some how though, I suspect that the crookedness may be an impediment. Adding that to the unavoidable truth that I am not endowed with handyman skills, it's safe to assume that I will eventually end up a popsicle preserved for eternity.

So far, the cold has been relatively tolerable. Tolerable, that is, until last night when we reached painful lows in the 20's. I tried to stave off the chills I couldn't shake with a bath that in all likelihood scalded off half my skin. Then I bundled up in attire that would appease the prudest of all prudes. Other than the tip of my nose there wasn't a bare patch of skin exposed. Not even the dog was safe - she was frozen to the touch and I shamed her with doggie attire that I am slow to admit owning. But she looked adorable! I think I now understand how babies get dressed in the dumbest outfits.

So, all of this is leading into a bed update! I would like to note that I have now made it three days in a row. It was very touch and go this morning though as I piled on extra blankets to ward off the horrible cold. I have to say anything beyond the six pillows I have and the duvet and bed making seems to get very complicated.

Ay, but it had to be done and done it was.

No comments: