Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Hint of Expectations

I've decided that it would be a good idea to get a head start on my New Year's resolutions a bit early. You see, I am a bit lazy, so much so that neither medication or fear of getting yelled at can really overcome it. In fact, laziness is number one on my list of things to tackle this coming new year. For a long time I have been kicking around the idea of forcing myself into productivity. Unfortunately, that brings forth a whole black hole of options. Not being much of a hobbyist, unless napping and tv viewing count, I haven't really had any place to funnel my dormant energies.

So, what better way to start than to tirelessly devote myself to writing about what I may or may not be doing? Be prepared as I tackle a number of subjects that truly live up to the title of this blog. In truth, I have other motives. Not only would I like to show commitment to something, I also hope this endeavor helps me figure out what the hell I do with all of my time, and maybe in the end, get closer to spending it in a way that makes me feel like I am using it rather than wasting it. The hope I have for this blog is that it forces me to become a better me and maybe a little less mundane of all things.

Ok, so now that intros are done, I feel I can move on to more important things. Such as how I really believe it's best that I eat all the remaining M&M's in my house or why I am going to start making my bed every morning.

Seeing that M&M's are far more interesting than bed making, let's start there.

Actually, perhaps before we go any further, I think it's important that I make an apology first - to the English language. I am truly sorry for the way that I will be butchering your fine rules of grammar and punctuation. I can pretty much guarantee that I will be misusing commas left and right. Dangling modifiers will be par for the course as will split infinitives. Much as I would love to be correct, I find it mind numbing to remember the details of such things. In fact, I feel that it is best for both of us to ignore the number of grammar guides resting dustily on my bookshelf as well as that English degree that I got.

I also want to apologize for any sort of incoherence that will also be taking place on a relatively regular basis. It's just that my brain works in a nonlinear manner for the most part and to share with you the details of my life, it's only fair that you get them in the same jumble that they appear to me.

Ok, with the non-sequitors complete, we can now get back to M&M's.

I am attempting to go into this new year with the best intentions. And like most people, that means being healthy. I had a fairly good grasp on that as I managed to lose about 12 pounds over the year. However, over the last few months of cookie binges, my weight, although still relatively stable, seemingly has made an even exchange of muscle for fat. Needless to say, I am getting soft. Which is why of course it has been necessary for me to eat the remaining contents of a giant bag of M&M's. Along with the M&M's there were also some cookies, brownies, truffles and chips with queso. I feel like I should clarify that I had a party Thursday and these are the remains. Um, were the remains. Understanding my hoover-like nature, I find it best to keep these things as far away as possible from myself. However, since they were in the house, I felt the only course of action to take was to clear them away so that my new healthy habits could return. Additionally it's Sunday and everyone knows no healthy decisions are made on Sundays.

Besides, I made the bed this morning, which surely absolves me of some irresponsibility, right?
It's important for me to clarify that I never make the bed, unless of course I have company coming over. Making the bed daily seems like a distinguishing marker of adulthood. Assessing that I may be in the market for such a distinction soon, I have decided that I need to start making my bed - every morning. Even Sundays. This seems like the easiest way to kickstart my resolution of tidiness. It also seems like a good way to curb my tendency to oversleep. Now that I am going to have to make the bed in the morning, maybe I will be convinced to get out of it on time.

That's really all I have to say about the bed. I made it. I suppose I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if I can repeat the action another day.


No comments: