Friday, December 26, 2008

Vroooom

Today I feel like talking about my car.  I can guarantee it is not an exciting topic.

I am really bad about renewing my registration and inspection.  Right now my tags are sitting at 6 and 7 months expired respectively.  It has become a contest with myself to see how long I can go without renewing them.  (I am really hoping that I haven't just jinxed myself).  Last time I made it about 10 months.  It was so far expired that the cop who pulled me over (yes, that is the degree of urgency that gives me the required motivation to get it done) was amused rather than annoyed.  He told me he couldn't believe I made it that long without getting pulled over.  I told him that he ruined my goal of reaching a year.

In addition to my expired tags, I am also driving around with out of date license plates.  The last time that I managed to get my registration they gave me new plates.  While I am willfully ignoring the law (although I suppose I am already doing that with the tags but that is out of laziness not defiance!) I can't help it.  I have a sentimental attachment to my plates.  

My first car was a 1986 Honda Civic hatchback named Zeus.  He was named so godly in hopes that he would live up to the name.  Instead, we had a short lived romance due to a blown head gasket.  It also managed to blow off the radiator cap.  Have you ever seen a geyser of radiator fluid?  It's both terrifying and awe inspiring.  You can see why I didn't have the chance to memorize its license plate number.  

Metis, my second car was shiny and new.  I bought it while in college and loved it.  Another Honda Civic, I knew this one was destined to last a lot longer.  I have now had it for 9 years and it has been nothing but lovely.  The downside of this car is that it is a silver Honda.  Next time you are on the road or in a parking lot and look around.  I guarantee a sea of silver Hondas will blind you.  Thus, it has been beyond necessary for me to diligently memorize my plate number.  Imagine my horror when they gave me new plates.  I can't learn a new series of numbers and letters!  Well, actually I can but I don't want to!  Metis (This was Zeus first wife before he ate her.  She is also Athena's mother.  Said eating of Metis is why Athena was born out of Zeus head.  I know it is totally nerdy but I was taking Greek Mythology at the time and liked the continuity.) is attached to her first plates and, like me, has not yet come to terms with the change.  

The next phase of my lack of car care has to do with oil and tires.  I can't remember when I last changed it.  It's pretty damn amazing my car has lasted this long, isn't it?  Also, my front tire is nearing flat.  It sits at about half the inflation of the other tires.  I can only imagine what kind of damage this is doing to my car.  

Lastly, I keep a really messy car inside and out.  One of the major advantages of a silver car is that it takes much longer to show the dirt.  Unfortunately, no color of car can obscure five months of grime.  The inside is no better.  I have managed to clean my trunk out and it only holds laundry baskets and recyclable shopping bags.  The rest of the car is not as lucky.  It holds a lot.  Right now the front seat can accommodate no passenger because it holds a clock that doesn't work, some receipts, a bag of stuff and a whole bunch of other stuff that is cluttering the whole thing.  The back seat is better but not much except that I think it can fit a small child.  I know it is easy enough to keep a car clean.  Unless you are me.  

In the spirit of starting the new year with better habits, the car is my next thing to tackle. I have already been pretty good about making the bed - I haven't missed a day since I started the blog!  So, once I get back from this weekend, my car will become an immaculate vision.  I think I will finally get the glass bits out from the time it was broken into (about 18 months ago).  

So, like the bed, there will no be a car report.  I am sure you can hardly wait...

1 comment:

Jesse said...

Did you know I had the same goal of seeing how long I could go without an inspection? I got to 4 years without getting caught. But my cop was not amused as my mom was in the car with me yelling at him. Yes, it's true. And yelling moms = tickets. Just don't drive with your mom and most likely you'll be fine.