Thursday, December 18, 2008

Shopper's Delight

I am having a problem with Christmas this year.  My problem is a sad one too.  It seems that every time I walk into a store I am compelled to buy MYSELF something.  This has happened consistently this month.  On a number of occasions I have left a store with no gifts for anyone except myself.

I am not grinchy - I swear.  I really love this time of year and get excited picking out gifts that I hope will be well suited to the receiver.  

See, with my Dad it was easy.  For years I have struggled with what to get him and typically it falls into one of two categories: stuff for golf or stuff for running.  I decided this year that it was time to do something different.  Luckily for me I stumbled into steak.  Yes, after years of the same gift year after year, I made the brilliant discovery that give a man some meat and he will be happy (some exceptions may apply).  Not only is this the best gift for my Dad ever but it can also be done online.  The beauty of that being that I go with one singular purpose, there is no distraction, and there is no chance of wanting anything the site sells for myself.  It's not that I don't love steak it's just that you have to cook them.  I feel like that is better left to people who will not char a decent steak down to a hockey puck.  

After the mail order meat success I started to think that online might be the best way to go.  Unfortunately, not so.  I am a picky shopper - picky in all things really (although I prefer selective, it sounds much more positive and less bratty!).  For me, I need to really see something to get a sense of whether or not I like it because as we all know, looks can be deceiving.  Thus, my attempts to shop online have yielded little success.  I can't tell if I really like something.  Plus, buying online means that if I don't like it, returning it will be a huge pain in the ass.  

I, for the record, am the queen of returns.  Not only am I picky but also indecisive.  I don't mean to be, it's just that sometimes I get so caught up in the moment and can't resist the urge to buy.  Then I get home and reality sinks in - how have I come home with yet another black skirt or grey sweater?  It's then that sense and responsibility once again takes hold of my brain and lead me back to the store before my 30 days are up for a full refund.  

This year has been the worst of all years and sadly, not too many excursions have resulted in returns because I LOVE everything I have bought.  I would like to believe that I am just living in denial about the recession.  Or perhaps I am enjoying some buying power before I find a new job that I fear will pay less than my current one (but then maybe I will be happier and not need the promise of wearing a cute outfit as the only way to convince me to go to work each day).  Either way, I have to stop!    It has completely been the most tempting of all shopping seasons.

Thankfully I am almost done with all of my shopping!  I have a few small gifts outstanding and a final decision to make on a big one.  But then I will done!  And once again my bank account can live happily ever after.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your bloggy blog